SH1 Puhoi to Warkworth PPP
Dates: August 2016 – Present
Project Location: Auckland
The Pūhoi to Warkworth project will extend the four-lane Northern Motorway (SH1) 18.5km from the Johnstone’s Hill tunnels to just north of Warkworth. It is the first stage of the Ara Tūhono – Pūhoi to Wellsford Road of National Significance.
The project is being undertaken as a Public, Private, Partnership (PPP) and is NZTA’s second PPP project after Transmission Gully in Wellington. Following a number of years in the planning and procurement phases, the project is now moving into design and construction following award of the PPP contract to the Northern Express Group in October this year.
Frequency have been engaged to provide Commercial Management and Project Controls support to the NZTA team tasked with the delivery of the project. The role includes, supporting the Transport Agency Representative in the administration of the PPP contract, commercial management of all NZTA managed costs and contracts, establishing and managing the project controls framework for the project and working with NZTA’s technical advisors to establish and manage the review process for all operative and design documentation.
- PPP contract being a first for NZTA in the region and many of its staff and suppliers.
- 5 year construction programme followed by a 25 year maintenance period.
- Challenging topography in a remote and environmentally sensitive location.
- Aggressive programme to meet the first summer earthworks season.
- High volume of operative documents and design packages requiring review and finalisation prior to works commencing.
- High profile project with a high degree of stakeholder management required.
- Careful consideration and planning of interfaces with the adjoining Warkworth to Wellsford and Matakana Link Road projects.