Bayfair to Baypark (B2B) Rail Relocation
Client: KiwiRail & NZTA
Dates: 2014 – 2016
Project Location: Tauranga
Frequency Role: Project Manager
To facilitate their successful opening of the Tauranga Eastern Link Road of Significance, NZTA are planning upgrade works to the intersections at Baypark and Bayfair. This requires the relocation of approximately 1.2km of rail track adjacent to the road corridor.
The rail relocation work – including track, signals, two new level crossings and three new rail turnouts – is to be delivered by KiwiRail for NZTA.
Frequency were appointed by KiwiRail to manage the entire package of rail relocation work, and act as lead interface between KiwiRail and NZTA.
The scope of the services provided by Frequency includes:
- Act as KiwiRail’s Representative for the project.
- Manage the delivery of KiwiRail’s obligations and requirements under the MoU between KiwiRail and NZTA.
- Management of the planning, coordination and integration of rail work with NZTA’s works.
- Liaison with NZTA’s project team and attendance at monthly PCG meetings.
- Engineer to the Contracts for the rail construction and signalling design and build contracts.
- Phasing of the track works to accommodate staged handover of formation construction, to provide a condensed period of site works.
- Construction of two new levels crossings on a busy road network.
- Coordination of multiple separate construction works packages: formation, track and ballast, signalling, ducting.
- Careful planning of commissioning changeover and ‘go-live’ works to occur in a single 36 hour window of rail shutdown, planned for mid-November 2016.
- Realistic, competitive procurement of rail and signalling contract packages in a constrained market.
- Managing the design of vibration mitigation solutions to the railway adjacent to existing residential properties.
- Financial management of numerous works packages and KiwiRail direct costs, tracking expenditure and invoicing progressively to NZTA against the agreed budget.